Inpatient hematology/oncology is both an admitting and consulting service. Patients are admitted to 4North at CHEO under the attending hematologist/oncologist. In 2016, there were 675 patients cared for totaling 3545 days of inpatient care by hematologists/oncologists.
Outpatient care is provided in the clinic located in the Gary Cardiff Wing. In 2016, there were a total of 8610 outpatient visits, 5527 in oncology and 3083 in hematology. Clinics occur daily with different sub-specialties including:
- Oncology aftercare (pediatric and adult)
- Bone marrow transplantation
- Hemoglobinopathies (Sickle Cell/Thalassemia)
- Benign hematology
- Hemophilia / von Willebrand
- Adolescent hematology/gynecology
- Home and school visits (Pediatric Interlink Community Nurse)
- Individual and group-based educational sessions
Clinical Problems and Diseases Evaluated and Followed
The Division of Hematology/Oncology deals with patients with cancer and blood disorders.