The Regional Genetics Program at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario provides diagnostic, counselling and therapeutic services to individuals and families dealing with genetic conditions. We serve a population of approximately 1.4 million in Eastern Ontario, Western Quebec, Nunavut and parts of Northern Ontario. Our program includes a director, 8 full-time and 4 part-time MD physicians, 6 clinical laboratory scientists, 12 MSc certified genetic counsellors, 11 administrative and clerical personnel and a large number of technicians and technologists distributed throughout our three laboratories. We also offer select cytogenetic and molecular genetic laboratory services to the larger population of Ontario, as well as clinical outreach services to several genetics clinics in Northern Ontario. Our mandate is to provide clinical and laboratory services through all stages of life (preconception, prenatal, pediatric and adult).
As a leader in deciphering genetics, our mission is to translate research into knowledge to empower families to be their healthiest. Our vision: Answers for every family at all stages of life.
In accordance with this mission and vision, we strive to:
- Provide a complete range of high caliber screening, diagnostic and counselling services related to inherited diseases and congenital malformations, while demonstrating respect for our patients and their families at all life stages
- Act as a resource for health care providers and the public concerning issues in genetics
- Serve as a centre of excellence for postgraduate training of medical residents, genetic counsellors, laboratory technologists and scientists
- Contribute to the understanding of genetic disease and congenital malformations by participating in research
- Evaluate our program regularly in order to meet our goals of continuous improvement, innovation and professional development