The program curriculum is based on the subspecialty training requirements in pediatric cardiology as outlined by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
The three-year mandatory content of training includes the following with one block equal to four weeks:
- Outpatient Cardiology (ambulatory) - 4 blocks (May be done longitudinally)
- Electrophysiology - 3 blocks
- Pathology - 1 block
- Clinical Cardiology (inpatients / consultations) - 7 blocks
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit - 2 blocks
- Cardiac Catheterization - 5 blocks
- Echocardiography - 6 blocks
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease - 1 block
- Research - 3 blocks
- Elective - 3 blocks
- Cardiac Diagnostic Imaging - 1 block (May be taken longitudinally).
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging - 5 blocks (concurrently done with cardiac catheterization) is not mandatory by Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, but standard in our program
- CVS - Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery - 1 block - not mandatory by Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada but standard in our program
- Heart Failure/Transplantation – 1 block - not mandatory by Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada but standard in our program and usually done at a quaternary centre such as the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto or the Stollery Children’s Hospital in Edmonton