As a physician, I recognize that I am a member of the medical community. As such, I accept responsibility for my conduct, and expect the same of my colleagues. I will strive to demonstrate the highest standards of professional behaviour as guided by the core values of respect, excellence, compassion, integrity, altruism, empathy, wellness and equity. I do this as an essential part of my commitment to the provision of the highest standard of patient care, which is the central goal to which I am dedicated.
Responsibilities to the Patient
- I will display honesty in interactions with patients, including accurate disclosure of information relevant to their care.
- I will disclose conflicts of interest that arise in the course of my professional duties and seek to resolve them in the best interests of patients.
- I will provide patients with the information they require to make informed decisions about their medical care and answer questions to the best of my ability.
- I will respect the right of a competent patient to accept or reject recommended medical care.
- I will uphold and protect the personal health information of patients and be aware of patient’s rights with respect to the collection, use, disclosure and access to their health information.
- In the provision of medical care, I will regard patient well-being as my main focus and primary obligation.
- I will display non-judgmental and non-discriminatory attitudes and behaviour towards patients and their families.
- I will strive to display compassion and empathy for the well-being of patients and their families.
Responsibilities to Society
- I will strive to develop cultural competency to become aware of and respect patients' religious and cultural practices.
- In the provision of medical care, I will not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or illness.
- I will strive to promote health equity in the provision of medical resources.
- I will ensure that any research in which I am involved has received appropriate approval and I will uphold both integrity and honesty in the collection, interpretation and reporting of data.
Responsibilities to the Profession
- I will adhere to and demonstrate the highest level of honesty and integrity in academic and clinical activities.
- I will collaborate with and respect medical students and all members of the health care team in the provision of patient care.
- I will develop an awareness and respect for the ethical and medico-legal standards in accordance with the guidelines of the relevant professional bodies.
- I will promote the dignity of the medical profession in all academic and clinical settings.
- I will promote and uphold the educational standards of the Faculty of Medicine.
- I will demonstrate a willingness to teach and share in the learning process with my peers, medical students, staff and faculty and as such promote the student-teacher relationship.
- I will seek help in a timely manner when faced with challenges that adversely affect my education or service to patients or the profession.
- I will adhere to administrative policies, procedures and deadlines to the best of my ability.
- I will be responsible for my attendance at academic and clinical activities.
- I will strive to help my colleagues to uphold the principles of professionalism outlined to the best of my ability.
- I will encourage my colleagues to uphold the principles of professionalism and will strive to address unprofessional conduct through the procedures outlined by the Faculty of Medicine.
Responsibilities to Oneself
- I will acknowledge and recognize my strengths and limitations and seek assistance as necessary.
- I will present and conduct myself in a dignified, respectful and professional manner while functioning in an official capacity.
- I will continuously strive to develop my knowledge, skills and competence.
- I will assess my educational progress and determine my learning needs.
- I will demonstrate a commitment to physician health and well-being including physical, mental, and emotional wellness.