Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Postgraduate Medical Education, the Director of Academic Support at the University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine will support Program Directors, working closely to identify and better define weaknesses and develop action plans to address deficiencies in knowledge, skills and attitudes. The incumbent will work with the program director to develop comprehensive plans for extra educational activities, extensions of training, remediation and / or probation, for trainees. The incumbent will also communicate with the program director periodically throughout the period to ensure compliance with the plan and provide support for any issues related to carrying out the plan.
Qualifications and Expectations
The Director of Academic Support must:
- Be a faculty member in good standing.
- Possess leadership ability.
- Possess ability to negotiate, mediate conflicts and advocate for additional training where appropriate.
- Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be familiar with PGME evaluation policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with Faculty of Medicine policies on appeals
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the intrinsic CanMEDS roles as well as various methods to teach and assess knowledge, skills and attitudes in these areas
- Has completed Crucial Conversations, and Crucial Accountability courses.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with Program Directors to identify learning issues, training needs and to develop learning plans.
- Acts as a resource person for Program Directors in assisting them with understanding various tools and methodologies employable when remediating learning issues.
- Provides resources such as tools and methodologies, to assist with remediating learning issues identified by Program Directors when required.
- Assists Program Directors in understanding and implementing the process of remediation or probation
- Assists Program Directors in writing robust learning plans utilizing the SMART methodology to set clear and realistic objectives.
- Assists the Program Director with the documentation of difficult cases.
- Suggests appropriate teaching methods and methods of evaluation.
- Assists in establishing benchmarks for learning with the Program Director.
- Ensures fairness and establishes transparency for trainee throughout the remediation or probation process.
- Provides ongoing support to the program director and trainee throughout the period of remediation or probation
- Checks in with the program director on a regular basis to ensure the plan is being followed
- Is a member of the Postgraduate Medical Education Committee (PGEC) as an ex-officio member.
- Provides a yearly report on activities to the Vice Dean and Asst Dean, PGME
The Director of Academic Support will be remunerated at the rate of $ 25,000.00 per year.
Invoices will be submitted on a monthly basis for payment, and must include supporting details such as dates and duration of meetings with Program Director and/or trainee and other members of the PGME leadership team.
- The Director of Academic Support will be appointed by the Vice-Dean, PGME.
- The appointment will be for 5 years once renewable, and may cease at any point in time with 2 weeks notice from either party.
Last updated: June 9, 2016