Why choose medical residency and fellowship training at uOttawa?
Top reasons to choose your Postgraduate Medical Education at the University of Ottawa
- Excellent training opportunities: We offer more than 75 training programs that provide innovative clinical experiences through a variety of educational strategies that guide our trainees into well-rounded clinicians. New residency and fellowship training programs are continually being implemented with our partner hospitals as we collaboratively enhance patient care.
- Leading health care settings: Our residents and fellows complete their medical training in our affiliated academic health science centres, including The Ottawa Hospital, Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Hôpital Montfort, The Royal and Bruyère Continuing Care, as well as hospitals in rural communities in Eastern and Northern Ontario. Additionally, we have one of the largest medical simulation facilities in North America, the University of Ottawa Skills and Simulations Centre.
- Training in a Francophone milieu: Training in French is offered by many programs through our partnership with L’Hôpital Montfort. Furthermore, we offer unique training opportunities with our international partner, L’Université de Lyon in France.
- Specialties, subspecialties, and Areas of Focused Competence (AFC) programs: We offer 29 specialty and 46 subspecialty programs that lead to certification by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and the College of Family Physicians Canada. We also offer 5 AFC programs that provide additional training post-residency. AFCs build upon a broader discipline in order to enhance scope of practice.
- Fellowships and Clinician Investigator Program (CIP): We offer many fellowship opportunities and accept over 150 foreign trainees annually who bring a wide range of skills and cultural diversity that serve to enrich our programs and Faculty. Our CIP allows residents to complete either a Masters or PhD while conducting research and providing health care.