BOOK AN APPOINTMENT:
In these unpresented times, the Faculty Wellness Program (FWP) remains committed to the well being of our Faculty. Free confidential counselling sessions remain available via video conferencing or tele conferencing. Please contact our office by email to schedule an appointment with Cynthia Abraham our Professional Counsellor.
Virtual appointments can also be scheduled at the email above to meet with Dr. Elizabeth Muggah, Assistant-Dean, FWP to discuss accommodations or other Wellness faculty/resident needs.
WHAT CAN WE OFFER TO YOU?
- Departmental workshops and consultations on Wellness shaped to suit the need of your group, program, or department
- Individual wellness support for Faculty members
- Accommodation support (Residents)
- Support to Program Directors (PD) for resident wellness needs (individual or group)
- Referrals to health care providers, counsellors and coaching
Faculty Wellness Program Counselling Services Information and Consent Form
Counselling is a confidential process designed to help you address your concerns, come to a greater understanding of yourself, and learn effective personal and interpersonal skills. It involves a supportive, respectful and understanding relationship between you and a trained professional counsellor with a Master’s degree.
Counselling involves sharing sensitive, personal and private information; this process may sometimes be distressing. In the course of counselling, there may be periods of increased anxiety or confusion. The outcome of counselling is often positive; however, the level of satisfaction for any individual is not predictable.
Potential benefits of counselling include: a change in problematic behaviour; the removal or reduction of symptoms; an improvement in self-esteem and overall mood; a positive change in interpersonal relationships; improved academic success; a greater clarity about academic and career plans. If you and your counsellor set clear goals for your meetings, the outcomes are more likely to match your expectations.
I have read the above information. I understand the risks and benefits of counselling and I agree to take part in the counselling process. I understand that I can withdraw my consent at any time.
INFORMATION ABOUT CONFIDENTIALITY: All interactions with Faculty Wellness Program, including the scheduling of your appointments, your attendance at appointments, the content of your sessions, your progress in counselling, and your records, are confidential.
COUNSELLING RECORDS: Your file is stored in a secured, locked location. No one will have access to your file other than myself and our administrative staff at the Faculty Wellness Program. We keep our client files for ten years from the date you completed counselling before they are destroyed.
COUNSELLOR SUPERVISION AND CONSULTATION: When appropriate, your counsellor may engage in clinical supervision or professional consultation in order to provide you with the best possible service. In this case, all efforts will be made to protect your identify and privacy. Those with responsibility for clinical supervision and consultation in this setting are bound by the same professional confidentiality agreements as your counsellor, and must adhere to the ethics and codes of conduct of their respective professional regulatory bodies.
I need your permission to give your health information to people who do not provide you with health care (such as your family, your insurance company or your employer). If you have any questions or concerns about sharing information, please let me know.
EXCEPTIONS TO CONFIDENTIALITY: We have a legal obligation to share information with or without your consent in these situations.
- There are reasonable grounds to believe that:
- there is a risk of imminent harm to yourself or specifically identified other person
- there is a risk of abuse or neglect of a child
- a vulnerable person is at risk of being abused or neglected
- a member of a regulated health profession has perpetrated sexual violence (including harassment against a patient)
- Your records are subpoenaed by a court of law
CANCELLATIONS: As with any other professional services, counselling appointments are a valuable commodity. If you cannot attend the appointment you have made, please notify us as soon as possible. You can contact us via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call our front desk at 613.562.5800 x 8507.
INFORMED CONSENT SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR TELE/VIDEO-CONFERENCING SERVICES
OVID-19 HOME OFFICE
Your counselor will go over, answer any questions and obtain informed verbal consent prior to starting video/tele-conferencing services. Please read and take note of the following statements:
- There are potential benefits and risks of video/tele-conferencing (e.g. limits to patient confidentiality) that differ from in-person sessions.
- Confidentiality still applies for video/tele-counselling services, and sessions will not be recorded without written or verbal consent from the parties involved.
- Virtual sessions (video conferencing) will be facilitated with the use of the Microsoft Teams platform, which meet the PHIPA standards of security. The counsellor will provide you with the information needed to use the application.
- Tele counselling, your counselor will call you from a private number and will delete your contact information in the phone’s history after the call is over.
- It is important to be in a quiet, private and safe space that is free of distractions (including cell phone or other devices) during the session.
- It is important to use a secure internet connection rather than public/free Wi-Fi.
- It is important to be on time. Should you need to cancel or reschedule your session, you must notify the Faculty Wellness Program in advance by email.
- A back-up plan will be required in the event of technical difficulties and or rescheduling (e.g., phone number where you can be reached).
- A safety plan that includes at least one (1) emergency contact and the closest Emergency Room to your location, in the event of a crisis will be established.
- Session notes will be kept on the counsellor’s password protected hard drive until we are able to return to the office. All session notes will then be printed and put into the client’s folder and secured in the locked filling cabinet. The hard drive copy will then be deleted
Tel.: 613-562-5800 ext. 8507
Faculty Wellness Program
451 Smyth Road
Ottawa, ON K1H 8M6
Please note that the FWP is not an emergency service. In case of emergency, please direct yourself to the nearest emergency room.