The Department of Psychiatry at the University of Ottawa is proud to offer an accredited Residency Training Program in Forensic Psychiatry.
The PGY6 Forensic Program does accept applications from internationally trained physicians, interested in applying to a residency or fellowship program at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa. They are required to submit their application online through uOttawa Campus. Details on the application process are available on the PGME Website at the following link https://med.uottawa.ca/postgraduate/prospective-trainees/admissions/without-canadian-legal-status.
- Must be eligible to write the RCPSC (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada) examination in general psychiatry.
- Must be eligible for an educational license through the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant.
An applicant who would meet the above requirements but who has completed medical school outside of North America will have a mandatory 5 year return of service within Ontario if accepted into a MOH (Ministry of Health) funded position.
The Forensic Psychiatry Residency Training Program has also the capacity to accommodate self-funded and other applicants for whom alternate sources of funding are available.
Dr. Floyd Wood, Program Director
Forensic Psychiatry Division
Residency Program Director
1145 Carling Avenue
Canada, K1Z 7K4
For more information, please refer to the link below
Please include the following:
- A letter of Intent
- Forensic Subspecialty Application Form
- A Completed Record of Training
- A Sample of Writing (such as a medico legal report or a consultation in the English language)
- Two blind letters of reference to be sent to the Program Director/Program Assistant directly.
- An updated C.V.
- LMCC Part I and Part II Results
- Copy of your ITERS from your General Psychiatry training, as one PDF document.
All 8 FP subspecialty programs also adhere to standard dates for applications and letters of offer. For the fall 2022 application cycle, the dates are as follows:
- Application Deadline: September 1, 2022
- Interview timeframe: October 2022
Offers of acceptance will be sent: November 2022
Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All eligible applicants will have their files reviewed by the Residency Program Committee. A shortlist of applicants will be selected for interviews. The Residency Program committee will inform applicants of the results of the selection process.
All 8 FP subspecialty programs will be adhering to a standardized matching process, please click the following link for further details.