The Department of Psychiatry at the University of Ottawa is pleased to offer a subspecialty training program that has been accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
The Geriatric Psychiatry Residency Training Program has the capacity to accommodate up to three PGY-6 residents:
- Up to one funded position through the Post-graduate medical education office; will depend on availability of this funding
- The balance where alternate sources of funding are available and arranged by the applicant and deemed acceptable by the Faculty of Medicine
Applicants will be applying to this program for their PGY-5 and/or PGY-6 trainings years. We welcome applicants from other universities.
One year of eligible rotations should be completed during PGY-4 and/or PGY-5 in a recognized Psychiatry Residency program in Canada and the resident must be eligible to write the RCPSC (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada) examination in general psychiatry at the end of their PGY-5 year.
Complete details on training requirements can be found on the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada Website under "Information by Subspecialty".
For consideration of enrolment in this program, please submit the documents listed below to the attention of:
Dr. Vinay Lodha
Geriatric Psychiatry Residency Program Director
Division of Geriatric Psychiatry
Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre
1145 Carling Avenue
Canada, K1Z 7K4
By E-mail (in PDF or Microsoft Word Format):
Please include the following:
- A letter of Intent
- Completed Subspecialty Application Form (PDF)
- ITERs for completed eligible rotations in PGY-4
- Three Letters of Reference; At least one a from Geriatric Psychiatry supervisor
- An updated C.V.
- A letter of good standing from the current program director
- Application deadline is Monday, September 10th, 2018
- Offers of positions will sent out Wednesday, November 14th, 2018
- Candidates will have until Tuesday, November 20th, 2018 to accept the offer of a position
- Second offers will be sent out Wednesday, November 21st , 2018
- Interested applicants should contact programs directors directly
- Note that after second offers have gone out, applications for any remaining spots will be re-opened to all candidates; it is not necessary to have applied in the first round of applications
All eligible applicants will have their file reviewed by the Geriatric Psychiatry Residency Program Committee. A short list of applicants will be selected and invited for interviews to occur in October, 2018.
Late applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis.