Fellowship Director: Elena Pena, MD
Program Administrator: Avril D'Silva
- Plain Films
- To develop an advanced approach to:
- Infiltrative lung disease
- Lung cancer
- Infectious and inflammatory disease
- Thoracic CT
- To become an expert in all aspects of thoracic CT including:
- High resolution CT
- Lung cancer staging
- Spiral CT for the detection of pulmonary embolism
- Systemic vascular abnormalities
- Congenital abnormalities
- Focal lung lesions
- Pleural and mediastinal disease
- Thoracic Intervention
- To become an expert in all aspects of image-guided thoracic intervention under fluoroscopic, CT or ultrasound guidance including:
- Fine needle aspiration biopsy
- chest wall
- Core biopsy
- chest wall
- Pleural drainages
- pleural effusions (simple and complex collections)
- To acquire a basic knowledge of the cytological and pathological differences between the different types of lung cancer.
- To gain an understanding of the different types of pathology specimens required to make the different pathological diagnoses.
Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
- To gain an understanding of the key elements needed in a radiology report to guide the thoracic and cardiac surgeons in the operating room.
- To gain practical knowledge of thoracic and cardiac surgical anatomy in the operating room.
Multidisciplinary Thoracic Oncology Rounds
To actively participate in the weekly Thoracic Work Rounds, including interpretation of the cases, to gain an understanding of the multidisciplinary approach to thoracic oncologic diseases.
Thoracic Clinical Pathologic Conferences
To assist in the selection of cases, preparation of images and presentation of these bi-weekly rounds.
Thoracic Radiology Research
To complete two research projects, at least one of which should end up as a publication in a peer-reviewed journal and be presented at a national or international conference. It would be desirable to have a paper accepted for presentation at the Society of Thoracic Radiology meeting (STR).
To become an expert consultant in Thoracic Radiology to Thoracic, Cardiac and General surgeons as well as Internists, Respirologists, Infectious Disease Specialists and Family Practitioners as well as Radiology Technicians.
To become proficient in performing the daily activities of a Thoracic Radiologist such reading plain films on in and outpatients, ICU films and CT scans and performing all lung biopsies and chest drainages.
To teach the medical students and residents in Diagnostic Radiology or doing electives in Radiology on a daily basis. This will include presentation of noon-hour teaching rounds for the radiology residents once every two weeks.
Academic Year 2023-24: deadline to apply is September 30, 2021