Congratulations to all our members on their recent success with their CIHR Project Grant funding. Overall, Faculty of Medicine and affiliated research institute teams were awarded 20 CIHR Project Grants and 5 Priority Announcements totalling more than $15.6M
CIHR funds innovative health research for the benefit of all Canadians, and the Faculty of Medicine continues to shine in its enviable position as a leading research-intensive institution.
Congratulations to the research teams on behalf of the entire Faculty!
- Steffany Bennett (PI), and Miroslava Cuperlovic-Culf. Lipophenomics of Dementia: Sex-specific metabolic determinants of risk and resiliency
- Simon Chen. Investigating the cell-type specific role of the transcription factor Npas4 in regulating motor learning
- Jean-François Couture. Characterization of a novel family of epigenetic readers.
- Arezu Jahani-Asl. Project title: Transcriptional Control of Glioma Stem Cells by a Novel LGALS1/HOXA5 Signalling Pathway
- Kendall, Claire (PI), and Lisa Petch, Lee-Ann M Chevrette, Erin M Cameron. Project title: The population health impact of community-campus engagement
- Jyh-Yeuan Lee. Project title: Structure and Function of ABCG5/G8: a Sterol Transporter Implicated in Hypercholesterolemia and Atherosclerosis
- Marie-Hélène Roy-Gagnon (PI) and Ellen Freeman, Julian Little, Gisele Li. Project title: Genetic, Metabolomic, and Environmental Contributions to Intraocular Pressure in the Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging
- Julie St-Pierre (PI), and Giuseppina Ursini-Siegel. Project title: Genetic models of the metabolic regulator PGC-1alpha in breast cancer
- Balwant S Tuana. Project title: Dilated cardiomyopathy: Going postnatal on the E2F pathway by tempering E2F6 activity
- Gonzalo G Alvarez (PI), and Yongyi Mao, Christopher Pease. Project title: Focused community TB screening among high-risk residential zones in Nunavut: The TAIMA TB household risk prediction study
- Marjorie C Brand (PI), and Theodore J Perkins. Project title: Mechanistic insights into non-malignant hematopoietic diseases
- Rodney H Breau (PI), and Dean A Fergusson, Luke T Lavallée. Project title: The impact of 1-year of adjuvant androgen deprivation following radical prostatectomy on prostate cancer recurrence: An internal pilot randomized trial
- Lana Castellucci (PI), and Grégoire Le Gal, Kerstin de Wit, Ratika Parkash. Project title: Comparison of Bleeding Risk between Rivaroxaban and Apixaban in Atrial Fibrillation (COBRRA AF)
- Francis Jeffrey Dilworth. Project title: Characterizing the non-redundant roles for histone modifying enzymes in stem cell-mediated muscle repair.
- Tetyana Kendzerska (PI), and Sachin R Pendharkar, Najib Ayas. Project title: Assessing the Patient, Provider and Policy Impacts of a Positive Airway Pressure Device Recall for Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Mixed-Methods Evaluation
- Ian Anthony J Lorimer. Project title: A therapeutic strategy for PTEN tumour suppressor restoration in glioblastoma
- Matthew McInnes (PI), and Victoria Chernyak, Jean-paul salameh, An Tang, Christian B van der Pol, Brett D Thombs. Project title: 'Living' Systematic Review and IPD Meta-Analysis to Evaluate the Contributions of Major and Ancillary Imaging Features on the Diagnostic Accuracy of LI-RADS.
- Daniel I McIsaac (PI), and Gurlavine D Kidd, Monica Taljaard, Puneeta Tandon, Duminda N Wijeysundera, Margaret L Mcneely, Chelsia A Gillis, Julie Hallet. Project title: STRIVE before surgery trial: a vanguard pragmatic multicenter randomized trial of Structured TRaining to Improve fitness in a Virtual Environment before surgery
- Daniel I McIsaac (PI), and Brian E Hutton, Chelsia A Gillis, Marlyn Gill, Laura S Boland. Project title: The Canadian Prehabilitation Network Review: a systematic review and component network meta-analysis to inform prehabilitation design and evaluation
- David J Picketts. Project title: Characterizing the genetic consequences of dysfunctional NURF chromatin remodeling to syndromal intellectual disability
- Joel M Werier (PI), and Hesham Abdelbary, Michelle A Ghert. Project title: The Effect of Incisional Negative Pressure Wound Therapy on Wound Complications Following Sarcoma Surgery in Patients with perioperative radiation therapy; A Multicenter Randomized Clinical Trial
- Peter Tanuseputro (PI), and Jess G Fiedorowicz. Project title: Evaluating palliative and end-of-life care for Canadians living with schizophrenia
- Wenbin Liang (PI), and Peter P Liu. Project title: Role of Tbx3 in cardiomyocyte apoptosis after myocardial infarction
- Peter P Liu. Project title: COVID-19 Vaccine-Induced Inflammatory Heart Disease Prevalence Registry and Cohort Study (COVID-VIHPR)
- Heather E Tulloch. Project title: Psychological Profile and Intervention Needs of Patients with Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection: Phase 1b of Intervention Development