The Faculty of Medicine’s Educator of the Year Award – Clinical is presented annually to a member of the teaching staff who has demonstrated outstanding performance in his or her teaching, in particular in the development of innovative teaching material and methods, courses, and programs of study, and for his or her interpersonal skills.
Eligibility: All professors with a full-time or part-time Faculty position in the Faculty of Medicine are eligible. This award can be granted at any point in a career and can be won by an individual on more than one occasion.
Nomination process: Candidates for the Educator of the Year Award must be nominated by faculty members or by learners in the Faculty of Medicine. If no candidates are submitted, the Dean and Vice-Deans will propose nominations.
Each application must include the following elements:
- A letter of nomination (maximum 2 pages) describing the candidate’s academic contribution and outstanding teaching record.
- Nominee's CV
- The candidate’s most recent teaching and course evaluations
- Optional: Endorsement letters from learners.
Deadline: June 30th. If the deadline falls on a weekend or a Canadian public holiday, the deadline will be the next business day.
Submission Process: One PDF document comprising of the required elements sent by email to mriou3@uOttawa.ca no later than 4 p.m. on the deadline date.
Selection Criteria: The selection criteria will be outstanding teaching; not to be narrowly defined and not limited to classroom teaching. Contributions to all aspects of teaching will be considered. The following list, which is not intended to be exhaustive, is considered typical:
- Course and/or lab design and curriculum development;
- Development of innovative content and incentives that engage students in learning processes;
- Development of interdisciplinary, cooperative or continuing education programs;
- Development of new techniques for student evaluation and testing;
- Conduct of graduate seminars and supervision of thesis students;
- Relevant community involvement;
- Excellent course evaluations by students;
- Creativity and impact in pedagogy and/or applications in the development of courses;
- Variety in their offer of courses, small and large groups, undergraduate and graduate.
Selection Process: The Selection Committee is chaired by the Director of Awards and Prizes for Excellence in Education and Research, and composed of departmental and learners representatives. The Committee’s selection is then presented to the Faculty of Medicine Executive Leadership Team for final approval.
Award: At the Faculty of Medicine Gala, the recipient will be presented with a commemorative plaque.