Please note that this program is separate and independent from a similar program sponsored by the Medical Education Office.
Summer studentships are available on a competitive basis for undergraduate medical students at the University of Ottawa who are enrolled in their first or second year of training.
These awards are restricted to students working with supervisors affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Ottawa.
Funds to support the summer studentship program come from several sources. Funding for research in specific disciplines, administered by the Faculty of Medicine, are provided by several external agencies (see list below).
- Potential supervisors are invited to submit project descriptions (deadline: Monday, January 14th, 2019). Please note that only one project per supervisor (PI) will be accepted and each student must only have one supervisor.
- Supervisor Project Application Form
- Students contact prospective supervisors to discuss projects.
- Students and supervisors prepare a project description and submit a student application form by March 4th, 2019 - 4pm. Only one student per project is accepted. No applications will be accepted after this date, deadline is firm.
- Application for studentship doesn’t guarantee an award.
- All students and projects will be reviewed and ranked by a selection committee.
- Applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision no later than March 29th, 2019. Upon receipt of the award notice, both student and supervisor must respond to advise the research office if the award is accepted by the date in the award notice letter.
Note:Students and potential supervisors are encouraged to discuss projects before the deadlines.
- Summer Studentship Program Instructions and Guidelines and application forms
- Should your project be selected, you must attend the poster session in September 2019. Supervisors will be asked to evaluate at least 3 students at the poster session. (PLEASE NOTE THE FORMAT OF THE POSTER SESSION WILL CHANGE THIS YEAR. MORE DETAILS TO COME)
The following are descriptions of possible awards that may be available for top ranked applications (determined by selection committee). The agencies have not yet confirmed how many awards we will be receiving therefore this information is preliminary.
Note: Should your project receive one of these awards, the supervisor is still required to contribute $1,500 towards the program.
Mach-Gaensslen Foundation Summer Student Research Awards
The short term objective is to encourage student research in medicine, specifically in the focused disciplines of cardiology, oncology and psychiatry. As a long term objective, the Mach-Gaensslen Foundation of Canada is interested in knowing whether involvement in summer research, while a medical student, will influence career choice or lead to research later in a student’s professional life. To receive funding for a summer’s research the student researcher must agree to participate in a prospective study focused on individual research opportunities, for the balance of their careers. For additional information go to Grants and Forms