Logistically, Foregut and Bariatric are completely separate entities. Foregut is run out of the Parkdale clinic at the Civic Campus and Bariatric is run out of the Grimes Lodge at the Civic Campus.
The Bariatric team includes nurse practitioners at the Civic Campus.
The Ottawa Hospital is one of 5 centers of excellence in the Ontario Bariatric Network (OBN). The Bariatric team consists of: staff members, MIS fellows, nurses (APN and NP), dietitians, behaviourists, psychologists, social workers, internists, and others providing specialized consultation and management of patients including:
- patient support to manage complex pre-existing health conditions
- 2-hour group Surgical Information Session
- Roux en y Gastric Bypass
- Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Revision of previous bariatric surgeries
- numerous post-operative care visits within the 1st year post-op
Additional conditions addressed by the Foregut/Bariatric unit include:
- paraesophageal hernia
- gastro-esophageal reflux disease\
- hematologic disease requiring splenectomy
- laparoscopic inguinal hernia (recurrent or bilateral)
- complex or revision of foregut surgery such as benign foregut disease, or obstruction
- adrenal disease requiring adrenalectomy
The staff members are actively involved in the education of undergraduate medical students and postgraduate trainees (residents and fellows) and in continuing professional development for physicians in practice.