Objective: To award the strongest grant proposal from DoS staff surgeons in a live competition
Description: DoS surgeons compete for $20 k for their research project in the Wolves’ Den (i.e., protocols are pre-screened, ranked, and critiqued live by the surgical wolves [experienced researchers]).
When: DoS Research Half Day - Wolves' Den Session: Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 3:45 -4:30 pm
2022 Wolves: TBA
- Only DoS faculty members are eligible to submit to the Wolves’ Den grant competition.
- Substitute presenters are not permitted (unless approved in advance of the live competition).
- All proposals will be ranked, but only the top 3 will present at the live competition.
- Proposal submission portal, deadlines, and other grants are here.
Guidelines for writing proposals:
All proposals will:
- *Updated* Be limited to ~650 words (exactly 4000 characters)
- Include headings like background, objective, methods, impact, and budget (overview)
Successful proposals will:
- Articulate how they will lead to high-impact publications and/or further grant funding.
- Demonstrate their impact on patient care
- *NEW* Demonstrate patient engagement, i.e., as partners in the research process
- *NEW* Demonstrate consideration of equity, diversity, inclusion (EDI) throughout
- Describe the impact of the $20 k grant on the project (whose overall costs may exceed $20 k)
Review criteria will include an assessment of the following:
- A clearly articulated and feasible objective
- Level of collaboration (including with patients) and innovation in the proposal
- Design of the methods (including consideration of EDI) to address the stated objectives
- Likelihood of impactful publication
- Likelihood of external grant funding
- Impact of $20 k on the project
- The top-3 protocols identified through a pre-competition by expert reviewers
- The top-3 proposals will be present to the wolves at the DoS Research Half Day
- Wolves will question the presenter about the proposed project
- Winner will be announced at the end of the Research Half Day
Previous Wolves' Den Grant Winners:
|2021||Dr. Geoffrey Wilkin||Bacteriophage therapy to improve the treatment of Fracture-Related Infection - Send in the Viruses!|
|2020||Dr. Georege Grammatopoulos||Intra-Articular Adipose Tissue: biomarker and therapeutic target for arthritic hip joints?|
|2019||Dr. Fahad AlKherayf||Intraoperative continuous flash visual evoked potentials monitoring during minimally invasive endoscopic skull base surgery, a novel approach to improve patient outcome|
|2018||Dr. Hesham Abdelbary||Using a novel 3D printed titanium hip replacement rat model to anatomically map biofilm formation in surrounding tissues of a periprosthetic joint infection|
|2017||Dr. Joel Werier||The development and feasibility of a Virtual Multidisciplinary Cancer Conference (vMCC) for metastatic bone disease to improve quality of care across the Champlain LHIN|
- Rebecca Auer (2017, 2020)
- Marc Ruel (2017)
- Tim Ramsey (2017)
- Andrew Seely (2017, 2018, 2019)
- Carolyn Nessim (2018)
- Paul Beaulé (2018)
- Joel Werier (2018)
- Isabelle Raiche (2019)
- Erin Cordeiro (2019)
- Hesham Abdelbary (2019)
- Jocelyn Cote (2020)
- Angel Arnaout (2020)
- Fahad AlKherayf (2020)