Mission Statement, Admissions University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine
Our Mission is to select a culturally and socioeconomically diverse group of medical students who are ready to pursue academic and personal excellence and who possess multifaceted interests and personal qualities. These students will be able to, in an ethical and professional manner, contribute and be responsive to, the changing needs of society by:
- Providing exemplary and compassionate patient care
- Advancing the public’s health
- Conducting ethical medical research and
- Maintaining their personal wellness
Mandate of the Admissions Committee
The Admissions Committee of the Faculty of Medicine has the following responsibilities:
- Examination and evaluation of the applications.
- Selection, on a competitive basis, of the eligible candidates who are best suited for training in medicine in accordance with the criteria approved by Faculty Council. It is highly desirable that the candidate who has had a broad exposure to the biological and physical sciences, also have a broad exposure to the arts, humanities and social sciences.
The University of Ottawa is the only medical school in North America that offers the MD Program in both official languages, English and French.
Students select their language of study during the application process.
On average, 166 students are enrolled each new academic year, comprised of roughly 118 in the Anglophone stream and 48 in the Francophone stream.
Admissions facts for the 2020 application cycle:
- Number of applicants: 4,294
- Number of students who met excellence of marks: 2,458
- Number of students who were interviewed: 582
- Number of students admitted: 167
The application process and admissions process are the same for all categories of applicants.