Your referees now complete references on-line. For instructions, please visit: www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-referees/
Candidates are required to ask 3 persons to provide a reference on their behalf:
- One academic- or employment-related,
- One non-academic and
- One of your choosing.
Select referees who have extensive personal knowledge of you and, as a result, are in a position to answer the Confidential Assessment Form (CAF) questions.
In order for referees to provide uniform information that admissions committees are specifically looking for from the reference process, each of your referees will be asked to fill out a CAF. It is your responsibility to inform your referees that they must fill out the CAF, and that additional letters of reference are not accepted.
On the CAF, your references will be asked to respond to the following:
- Would this applicant make a good physician?
- Rate the applicant on each of the following attributes:
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Professionalism (e.g., commitment to ethical practice, standards of behaviour and accountability to others)
- Empathy (e.g., demonstrating consideration of others’ perspectives)
- Identify and comment on 1 area of improvement for the applicant.
- Share any other information you feel may be relevant to a medical school’s admissions committee.
References are due on October 1st along with the remainder of your application. However, when referees are unable to meet the deadline, we will accept late references up to December 1st, without penalty to the applicant.
Requests for references should be sent to your referees by September 15th to allow enough time for them to complete their on-line reference by the deadline.