Social Accountability Initiative

In the spirit of social accountability and responsibility, devise appropriate strategic objectives and commit the necessary resources in order to address the current socioeconomic disparity in medical school admissions, the University of Ottawa has created two (2) low socioeconomic status (LSES) reserved seats as a first step in an attempt to decrease barriers, to offer fairness, and to provide all candidates with equal access opportunity.

Eligibility criteria:

  1. All candidates wishing to apply through the Social Accountability Initiative need to fulfill the University of Ottawa general UGME program requirements. These can be found at Eligibility
  2. In addition, the candidate must have had a yearly total parental/legal guardian pre- tax income (at the time they were in grades 11 and 12) equal to or less than $60,000 as per Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) data (line 150 on the income tax return).
  • Candidates wishing to be considered must compute the average gross parental/legal guardian income at the time he/she was in Grade 11 and Grade 12. The additional financial documentation, which consists of each parental/legal guardian’s notice of assessment issued by the CRA for that period, needs to be provided at the time of OMSAS application submission. These notices of assessment may be obtained through the CRA.
  • Candidates who meet criteria 1 and 2 and wish to apply to the Anglophone or Francophone streams or to the Indigenous or MD/PhD programs are potential candidates for the Social Accountability Initiative.

Please note:

  • All submitted information and documentation must be true and verifiable. Any false information will result in the application for the Social Accountability candidacy and medical school admission being denied.
  • No exceptions will be made to the October 1st deadline. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide all appropriate and supporting documents for complete file review for the Social Accountability consideration. Failure to do so will result in disqualification for the Social Accountability Initiative.


  • Why should I apply to this initiative? What is the general process?

Application for the Social Accountability Initiative is voluntary. Once the Social Accountability application is reviewed and accepted by the Admissions Office, LSES eligibility is confirmed. Candidates will then compete for the two reserved seats. Academic and non-academic file review for these seats is identical to the other general admissions. Note that if we have numerous qualifying candidates after both academic and non-academic file reviews they are also considered for regular stream seats.

  • What happens to my application if I do not qualify for the Social Accountability Initiative?

If you do not qualify for the reserved seats, your application will be processed as a general application for the stream/program you would be applying to (Francophone, Anglophone, Indigenous, or MD/PhD).

  • Can I apply to both the Social Accountability Initiative and the Consortium National de Formation en Santé (CNFS) program?

Candidates who qualify for the CNFS program should apply to that respective stream as it already holds reserved seats. Therefore, they will not be considered for the Social Accountability seats.

  • What if I can’t get my parents’ notice of assessment/proof of income statement?

The Social Accountability application requires disclosure of financial information for your living parents. Unless they are deceased, parental information is required regardless of your age, tax filing status (dependent or independent), marital status, parent(s) country of residence, or your parent’s willingness to provide financial information.

  • What if my parents name does not appear on the CRA tax form?

You must contact Canada Revenue Agency at the following number 1-800-959-8281 and speak to a representative to obtain the complete form.

  • Where can I get a notice of assessment?

To obtain a notice of assessment, individuals must use the CRA’s My Account service. They may access the service directly by visiting the CRA website: Notice of assessment

  • What if my parents do not live in Canada? How do I declare their income?

If your parents live outside of Canada, you may include a note to this effect as part of an explanatory letter to be submitted with your application. Satisfactory proof of income is still required and must be declared in Canadian dollars.

  • Would I be eligible to apply through the Social Accountability Initiative given my status as a Crown Ward of The Children’s Aid Society?

Similarly to financial aids and government assistance, individuals falling under the Children’s Aid Society or other Child and Family Service Agency are not required to submit financial information. They are required to submit a letter from that organization attesting of such situation for that time period.

  • How many years of the appropriate proof of income documents should I submit?

You are required to submit 3 years’ worth of appropriate documents. Example: If you began, grade 11 in September 2012 and ended in June 2013, then started grade 12 in September 2013 up to June 2014, you should submit documents for years 2012, 2013, and 2014.

  • I came to Canada as a refugee, having lost all connection with my family. What documents should I provide as proof?

If a candidate declares himself/herself independent, then a proof of non-contributing parents such as an affidavit signed by the parents, student and a notable source (lawyer, government official, notary, notice of decision from Immigration and Refugee Board) is required and must be submitted with your application.

  • Where should I send my LSES documents?

All LSES documents must be submitted no later than October 1st, via the Secure Application Messaging (SAM) tool.

Back to top