Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO)
Guidelines for Electives
Pre-clerkship Students from University of Ottawa:
- First and second year students from the University of Ottawa must consult the password protected Contact list of the different divisions in Ottawa (found on the Electives Website) to find out the name of the coordinator they should request elective availabilities to participate in their elective.
- Once a student has decided area(s) they would like to participate in a 10 hour observership, they are asked to review their course calendar and submit to the department coordinator a list of specific dates, and times on each date they are available (i.e. Monday, February 10th from 1300 1630, Wednesday, February 12th from 1300 1630, etc.).
- If area the student has chosen is booked up or has received a lot of requests, the department coordinator will let student know, and will ask if they would like to participate in an elective in another area, or would be willing to take anything she can find for the times they are available.
- The department coordinator will then send an email to the admin for the department student has chosen/is available, and will let the student know which department she is waiting to hear back from. The department coordinator will also ask the student to contact her by email if they have not heard back from her in 2 weeks time so that she can follow up with the department she sent the request off to.
- Once elective is officially confirmed, the student should then contact the supervisor of their elective to go over their elective objectives prior to commencing the elective.
- IT IS THE STUDENTS' RESPONSIBILITY TO FORWARD THEIR ONLINE EVALUATION TO THEIR PRECEPTOR AT THE END OF THE ELECTIVE.
Clerkship Students from University of Ottawa:
- 4th year students from the University of Ottawa must contact the coordinator at the Pediatric Undergraduate Medical Education office at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario by email containing the area(s) of interest and the time period involved.
- The coordinator will then contact the supervisor of the subspecialty the student has chosen, to see if there is space available for the student at the desired time.
- Once approval for the elective has been received, the coordinator will contact the student by email to inform them of their placement. The student should then contact the supervisor of their elective to go over their elective objectives prior to commencing the elective.
- Once this is done, the elective evaluation form will be completed and signed by the Electives Coordinator. A photocopy of the form is kept on file in the Paediatric Medical Undergraduate office and the original is sent to the Electives Coordinator at the University of Ottawa.
- IT IS THE STUDENTS' RESPONSIBILITY TO HAVE EVALUATION FORMS COMPLETED AND RETURNED TO THE ELECTIVES COORDINATOR AT THE UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA.
- Adolescent Medicine
- Child and Youth Protection (CYP)
- Child Development
- Complex Patient Care
- General Inpatient Clinical Teaching Unit
- General Pediatrics
- Infectious Diseases
- Intensive Care
- Newborn Screening
- Palliative Care
- Child Life Therapeutic Clown Program - CHEO