Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery / General
Objectives & Description:
- Student will formulate the indications and contraindications for certain surgical procedures and appreciate the risk/benefit criteria for patient selection.
- Student will contribute to the preparation of patients for surgery and will participate in their care postoperatively.
- Student will be able to develop a surgical plan which includes:
- objectives of the procedures
- concepts and principles that apply
- anatomic considerations
- operative steps
- criteria of acceptability and unacceptability
- possible complications
- Student should be able to diagram, discuss, or demonstrate on a model the essential parts of the operation.
- Student should become proficient in the performance of minor surgical procedures, and be able to perform the following: incision and wound closure; precise and delicate mobilization of tissue; correct use of instruments for tasks; dexterous manual coordination; physical assessment of problems and results.
Location: The Ottawa Hospital (General/Civic) and CHEO
Duration: 2 weeks
No. of Students: 2 from Pre-Clerkship; 2 from Clerkship
Available for: 2nd years (after completion of Integration Unit); 3rd and 4th year students