The Department of Surgery offers an elective rotation of up to 4 weeks maximum with exposure in General Surgery and in sub-specialties of surgery (minimum 2 weeks in each rotation): Neurosurgery, Vascular Surgery, Urology, Orthopedics, Plastic Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Ambulatory Surgery and Cardiac Surgery. The teaching hospitals affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Ottawa are: Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario, The Ottawa Hospital - Civic Campus, General Campus and Riverside Campus, and the University of Ottawa Heart Institute.
It is our intent to give the elective students a satisfactory experience in Surgery with the expectation that the students will participate actively in the activities of each of the assigned rotation. You are requested to review the information on the electives offered in general surgery and subspecialties of surgery. The students will receive a written evaluation based on knowledge, skill, attitude and professionalism.
- TOH Surgery Elective Information - 1st and 2nd year U of Ottawa Medical Students
- TOH Surgery Elective Information - 3rd and 4th year U of Ottawa Medical Students
- The application for elective in Surgery should be made 4 months in advance.
- The assigned rotation will be final and the student will not be allowed to make last minute changes.
- You are advised to make sure that your elective application must first be approved at the Elective Office, which will then coordinate with the Undergraduate Surgical Education Office.
BK Lam, MD, FRCSC,
Director, Undergraduate Surgical Education