Advantages of participating in international electives during medical education include:
- Developing a better understanding of international health;
- Learning about health-care in lower technology societies;
- Becoming involved in a cultural exchange;
- Using the knowledge gained about other cultures in order to develop a better understanding of Canada's multicultural population;
- Developing technical skills;
- Encouraging contemplation of a career in International Health.
If you are planning to do an International Elective (clinical or research) you must keep in mind the time frame required to set up the elective. You must apply a minimum of 2 months in advance to your travel dates.
NOTE: If you are a 4th year student and wish to do an international research elective, you must first complete and submit (to your Liaison Office Year 4) a research elective application form to obtain approval.